The purpose of the resources below is to assist school site administrators start to prepare for the administration of the next generation, Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT). While emphasis is placed on California’s CAASPP (Formerly CalMAPP)/SBAC assessments, this document is relevant to all CAT programs. Though this list is not exhaustive, it should provide school and district administrators with a foundation in order to start the planning process toward the implementation of the field test.
Three significant areas to address in preparing for CAT include Technology, Facility Upgrades, and Staff Preparation. Review the three areas below as each provides a video overview, general information, and resources.
CAASPP Infrastructure & Technology
- Minimum Tech requirements
- It is essential to go with RECOMMENDED
- Hardware purchasing guidelines
- Practice and training tests portal
- SBAC Secure Browser (http://sbac.portal.airast.org/browsers/)
- Headphones needed for ELA tests
- The CAASPP Preparation Checklist will provide you with some guidance to work with your District Technology Services Group, as well as some of the logistical concerns you may have with your facility.
- Alternate Testing Room (Makeups and students needing additional time)
- Carts vs. Computer Lab vs. Library
- Moving devices vs. Stationary
- Will your district provide additional devices to your school during the testing window and how will you deploy them.
- How can you minimize the impact on your school so that learning still takes place
- Scheduling: Links to
- Your District Testing Window
- What is your School Testing Window, based on your District testing window
- Will you have to modify your school schedule based on your bandwidth, testing days and number of students
- SBAC In a Box Presentation from K12HSN
CAASPP Logistics for Teacher and Staff Preparation
Needs assessment: See CAASPP Preparation Checklist
- CaliforniaTAC - Educational Testing Service (ETS) website with information about the California Test Administration
- Article: CCSS Assessments: Are You Ready?
- Claims for the ELA Summative Assessment
- Claims for the Mathematics Summative Assessment
- Computer Assisted Training Fact Sheet
- Hunt Institute YouTube Training Videos
- Field Testing Resources
- SBAC - Sample Items and performance tasks.
- Sample Items and Performance Tasks FAQ
- SBAC Practice and Training Tests
- SBAC Student Practice Test
- Brokers of Expertise - CCSS - Professional Learning Modules
- Siginficant documents for teacher training (editable) from Fairfield Schools